Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Baby lettuces

Many people have an aversion to Brussels sprouts. I get it, I get it, I really do - if undercooked they are hard and bitter, if overcooked they are mushy and bitter. But if cooked just right, they are awesome. Ask my friend Jenn. I brought them to a pre-Thanksgiving party this past fall, and she cringed. (Yes, I am the lame friend who brings Brussels sprouts to parties.) But little did she know, I had sauteed them in bacon fat (not just any bacon, but thick slabs from the Whole Foods deli counter) and sprinkled them with sea salt and pepper and they were rich and flavorful and crunchy. And as a result of me force-feeding her the sprouts, she now makes them all the time.

I also like Jenny and Andy's approach to making Brussels sprouts enticing: just rename them "baby lettuces!" Nobody cringes when you mention "lettuce," right? And the recipe on their blog, Dinner: A Love Story, looks even better that the baby lettuces that I usually make.

"Baby lettuces" via Dinner: A Love Story

For the full recipe, head over to Dinner: A Love Story.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...