Saturday, January 15, 2011

Food for Thought

Happy Saturday! Sorry I have been a bit MIA. Work is quite hectic and exhausting this month, but exciting too. Most nights this week have involved a good glass of red wine :)

I'd like to introduce you to a great blog, called Food & Think, created by those who write the Smithsonian magazine. As the tag line reads, it is: "A Heaping Helping of Food News, Science and Culture," and it is TOTALLY cool.

After digging through the blog for some time, I found an old post from May of 2010 about WWI and WWII food posters. The posters convey the themes of saving food and being resourceful (which makes sense, particularly when you take into account that it was during a time of food rationing). If you are at all interested in the history of food, I strongly suggest you read this blog post and click through all the food posters; the messages they convey are quite interesting.

Here is one of my favorite posters from the blog.

(Via Food & Think)

This poster was created in 1917, yet its teachings are still so relevant today. I think we all ought to do a little more of what this poster says.

As for now, I'm off for a long, winter walk with the lovely Lisa!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...